Perfect Roast Potatoes
Back to All Recipes
- 1kg Maris Piper potato
- 130g duck or goose fat
- 2 tsp flour
- A few sprigs or thyme or rosemary
- salt & pepper
- Place a roasting tin in the oven – be sure it is big enough to fit all the potatoes in one layer without being squashed! Heat oven to 220C
- Peel the potatoes and cut each into 4 even-sized pieces as you like them. Place potatoes into a large pan and add water to cover them. Add salt, then wait for the water to boil. As soon as the water fully boiling, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 2 mins without the lid. Meanwhile, add the duck fat to the roasting tin and heat it in the oven for a 5/7 mins, so the fat gets very hot.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander. Now shake the colander back and forth a few times to fluff up the outsides. Sprinkle with the flour, and give another shake or two so they are evenly and thinly coated. Allow the potatoes to sit in the colander for a few mins to dry off a little. When dry and fluffy add the potatoes into the hot fat BE CAREFUL! If the fat is hot enough they should sizzle as they go in. Turn them around so they are coated all over. Spread them in a single layer making sure they have plenty of room.
- Roast the potatoes for 15 mins, then take them out of the oven and turn them over. Roast for another 15 mins and turn them over again. Put them back in the oven for another 10-20 mins, or however long it takes to get them really golden and crisp. When they are close to being ready season with salt and pepper and add your chopped thyme or rosemary. Serve & enjoy!