The perfect steak can be elusive… but it starts with the beef itself!
Our beef is sourced either from our own family farm in the Craigantlet Hills or from other local farmers. We believe that perfect steaks start on the farm… contented animals produce good beef and animal welfare is a top priority. The breed of cattle is also important and we choose breeds known for their good fat covering and fine texture.
The age of the steak is important and We mature all our beef for a minimum of 28 days to enhance the flavour. This is how we cook our steaks…
1. Remove the steak from the fridge at least 30 minutes before you plan to cook it, pat dry with kitchen paper.
2. Heat the frying pan to a high heat (until piping hot)
3. Place the steak in the pan using tongs ( do not use a fork as this will pierce the meat & allow juices to escape)
4. Don’t put too many steaks in the frying pan at once as the tempertaure of the pan will drop and the steaks will stew
5. Lightly coat your steak with olive oil and season with sea salt & black pepper (there are those who argue against seasoning at this point) If you are feeling very indulgent you can brush the steak with butter as opposed to olive oil!
6. Cook the steak at a high temperature for 3-6 minutes per side depending on how you like to serve your steak
7. Be careful not to overcook your steak as once you remove it from the pan it will still continue to cook for a few minutes more
8. Once you are satisfied the steak is cooked to your liking place it on a rack and cover in foil to allow them to rest for approx 5 minutes and allow the juices to relax back into the meat.
My perfect steak is served with Primacy tobacco onions & pepper sauce…delicious!